I knew the sweater was progressing too well and it was only a matter of time before I ran into a problem. As I was working the first sleeve last night, it dawned on me that it was a very baggy and loose sleeve. The pattern says to decrease 2 stitches every inch or so as you work the sleeve, which I faithfully did. k2tog, k to last 2 sts, ssk every 6 rows. It worked out fine for my boyfriend’s sweater but my proportions don’t work out so well, I think. (That or I cast on too many stitches for the armpit and created too large of a shoulder.)
In these pictures I’m only about 3 inches away from casting off the entire sleeve, of which 2 will be ribbed without decreases. It won’t do, so I ran a smaller size needles through the row where I first decreased and I will be frogging the sleeve back to that row to start over. Rather than decrease every 6 rows, I will be decreasing every 3 rows until I hit about 32 stitches. That should make the fit better. I’ll be running a lifeline through the row I picked up in case that is also wrong and I need to try something else.
Worst case scenario I’ll have to remove the sleeve entirely and start over from the beginning at the shoulder, but it’s really not so bad! The yarn works up quickly enough that it’s only a day or two lost, rather than two months. 😛